Meek Mill deserves new trial and charges dismissed, DA says
Add the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office to those in favor of rapper Meek Mill getting a new trial.
The city’s DA believes Mill — who has controversially been behind bars since November due to a probation violation — deserves to have his case heard in court again, and that his original gun and drug charges from a 2008 arrest should be dismissed, according to Philly.com.
The DA, which made the announcement during a court hearing Monday, reportedly pointed to concerns over the trustworthiness of the officer who arrested Mill over a decade ago.
It will still be up to the judge overseeing Mill’s case to determine whether a new trial actually takes place. The judge — Genece E. Brinkley — did not dismiss Mill’s charges during Monday’s hearing. She did set another court date in June, however.
Earning the backing of the Philadelphia District Attorney’s office was a considerable victory for Mill’s team nonetheless.
“Cheers erupt as #MeekMill legal team announces Philly DA’s decision to support new trial for rapper,” NBC10 reporter Alicia Lozano tweeted. “Meeks lawyer says they will appeal to the Pa. Supreme Court.”
Mill, 30, tweeted a quote from attorney Angelo Pinto shorty after Monday’s announcement.
“The time is really now to create change,” the tweet reads.
Many have argued Mill’s latest incarceration is the result of a failed justice system. He received a two-to-four year sentence after a pair of arrests while he was on probation last year — one for fighting at a St. Louis airport, and the other for doing wheelies on a dirt bike without a helmet on.
He served multiple months behind bars after being arrested in 2008 when a gun was found on his person.